The discussion was guided by the mission “Promoting Potential through Partnerships” which was drafted by Dr. Fred A. Bonner when he assumed the role of the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Chair of Education at the Rutgers Graduate School of Education.
The event was facilitated by Dr. Chance W. Lewis, the Carol Grotnes Belk Distinguished Professor and Endowed Chair of Urban Education at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and attended by the following leaders in minority education:
- Robert Z. Carr Jr., Dean, School of Education and Psychology, Alcorn State University, Mississippi
- Patricia Green-Powell, Interim Dean, College of Education, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
- Valerie Evans Harrison, Dean, School of Education, Claflin University, South Carolina
- Terence Hicks, Dean, Whitlowe R. Green College of Education, Prairie View A&M University, Texas
- Veola P. Martin, Interim Dean, College of Education, Harris-Stowe State University, Missouri
- Reginald Nnazor, Dean, College of Education, Central State University, Ohio
- Donna J. Parker, Dean, Faculty & Academic Programs, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
- Traki L. Taylor, Dean, College of Education, Bowie State University, Maryland
To learn more about the participants please visit the 2014 Think Tank biography document here.
“The Think Tank has been a wonderful opportunity to hear what is going on at HBCUs through the authentic voices of the Deans that serve these institutions,” explains Dr. Bonner. “Over the past three years, we’ve engaged in a collaborative effort to increase the discussion on the state of Black education.”
Primary issues affecting teacher education programs detailed by the deans included recruitment, improving academic standards, faculty development, and generating funds for new programs and initiatives. The participants brainstormed collaborative initiatives that utilize the networks formed during the Think Tank to address the identified challenges.
Attendees of the Think Tank will continue the dialogue through a blog site managed by Dr. Bonner and they will reconvene to give a panel presentation at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) annual meeting in Chicago. Additionally, Dr. Lewis will draft a white paper from the conversations that will be disseminated to HBCUs college presidents across the nation.
Dr. Bonner is currently developing a Think Tank Summit to gather participants from the past three years to collectively discuss the program outcomes. To learn more about Dr. Bonner and the Samuel DeWitt Proctor Chair in Education please click here.